Celebrating National fish & chip day
Fish and chips is of course Britains favourite take away food and what better way to celebrate this wonderful, simple dish but with a special day all of its own.
As you can imagine we don’t need too much of an excuse to get you down to Krispies to enjoy some fabulous fresher then fresh fish and some of award winning chips be they traditional or our famous battered and we have some wonderful things planned for this year’s National Fish & Chip day on 1st June 2018.
But before we tell you about those plans here are five fabulous Fish and Chip facts to get your teeth into:
- There are over 10,000 Fish and Chip shops in the UK and it is estimated that British consumers eat 167 million portions of fish and chips a year (sometime it feels like that is just what Krispies serves on a sunny summers day!)
- It is unclear when Fish and Chips became a the meal we know and love today but we know it has been around since Victorian times as Charles Dickens makes reference to a “fried fish warehouse’ in Oliver Twist.
- It is thought the first Fish and Chip shop that opened was Malin’s in East London in 1860.
- The world's largest Cod and Chips was cooked up and served by Scawsby Fisheries in Doncaster. The massive battered Cod weighed in at 33lb (15kg) and was served alongside with 64lb (29kg) of chips. Yum!
- Fish and Chips is better for you than you might think. An average portion contains only 7.3% fat (2.8% saturated) which compares with 11.6% in a Big Mac. It also contains over a third of your daily allowance of vitamins and makes a balanced and nutritious meal.
Krispies have been celebrating National Fish and Chip day for 3 years now and each year we have done something a little different. We have had a fish and chip cake (a cake that looked like fish and chips, not a cake made out of fish and chips, that would be weird!) and it became a social media sensation. Last year we gave away free tasters of local fish and seafood but this year will be better than ever here is what we have in store:
- We will have a one off, responsibly sourced Fish and Chip special for only £3.00 for adults and £1.50 for kids (whilst stocks last).
- The first 50 customers at midday and then again at 6.00pm who buy the special will also receive a FREE brand new and exclusive Krispies Bag and Water Bottle.
- We will be announcing the winner of our Poetry competition and publishing the winning Poem.
So, if you need an extra excuse to have fish and chips it feels we have lots going to for you to enjoy so make sure you visit us on 1st June 2018 to savour something special.